Herniated & Bulging Disc Treatment in Raleigh, NC
Any combination of events or circumstances that results in a weakening of the outer annular fibers of the disc may eventually lead to a bulged disc or herniated disc that can pinch the nerve root or spinal cord, causing severe pain.
What Causes a Herniated Disc?
A number of factors, including age, can cause or contribute to a herniated or bulging disc. These factors include the following:
- Obesity, which creates additional gravitational stress on each joint
- Too little exercise, resulting in a gradual weakening of the supporting muscle and ligamentous structures, making the disc prone to injury from everyday activities
- Injury caused by too little activity during the week followed by too much on the weekend
- Falls and accidents, which can hurt both an already weakened spinal joint and a healthy one
- Repeated episodes of even minor injuries, which can eventually result in muscle tension and/or inflammation limiting the motion (and therefore the pumping action) of the disc, which becomes stiffer and drier, causing it to lose its shock absorbing properties
- Poor health habits including too much soda pop/not enough water, inadequate nutrition, alcohol use and nicotine use
In addition, there may be an as-of-yet unidentified genetic factor causing some individuals to be more likely to develop a herniated or bulging disc.
Raleigh Herniated Disc Treatment With Spinal Decompression Therapy
At Triangle Disc Care, we specialize in using spinal decompression therapy in Raleigh to help pull the protruding disc material back inside the disc. This works by gently separating the offending disc 5 to 7 millimeters, creating negative pressure (or a vacuum) inside the disc to pull in the bulging disc material, as well as water, oxygen and nutrients. This rehydrates the degenerated disc and brings in the nutrients needed to heal torn fibers and halt the degenerative process. As the disc material recedes, the pressure or pinch on the nerve is reduced. This therapy can help fix a herniated disc without surgery.
To schedule a no-charge consultation to learn how spinal decompression therapy can help you to recover from a herniated disc or pinched nerve, contact us or use the form to the left.
Triangle Disc Care offers spinal decompression therapy for pinched nerves, herniated discs and bulging discs in patients from Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Fayetteville, Sanford, Wake Forest, Clayton, Garner, Apex, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina and surrounding areas of the NC Triangle.