Raleigh, NC Neurology Treatment for the Back, Neck & Spine
By far the most common condition resulting in lower back pain radiating into the buttock, hip, leg and foot, or neck pain radiating into the shoulder, arm, wrist and hand, is direct physical pressure to the nerve — usually as a result of a herniated or bulging disc. At one time or another, everyone has applied too much pressure to the “funny bone” in their elbow, which is actually the ulnar nerve. The nerve compression disrupts the nerve’s function, causing pain, tingling, numbness or weakness. Too much pressure applied for too long to a nerve along the spine results in similar sensations. Nerve pain resulting from direct physical pressure is called an entrapment neuropathy because the nerve is trapped or pinched by some structure. This term helps to distinguish it from neuropathies resulting from infection or disease.
At Triangle Disc Care, we offer neurology testing for back pain in Raleigh. Standard neurology testing prior to treatment for a pinched spinal nerve includes motor, sensory and reflex tests often in conjunction with an orthopedic examination. If another nerve disorder is suspected or confirmed, we’ll promptly make the appropriate referral to a Raleigh neurologist or neurosurgeon specializing in that condition.
Causes of a Pinched Nerve Leading to Back Pain
Effective treatment for a pinched nerve depends upon its cause. There are hundreds of possible causes of nerve disorders in the human body, but they may be divided into roughly seven categories:
- Direct physical pressure such as from degenerated or herniated discs, osteoarthritic changes or spinal stenosis
- The toxins of acute infective diseases such as diphtheria, shingles, typhoid fever, malaria, scarlet fever or septicaemia
- Acute or chronic poisoning, most commonly by lead, arsenic, mercury, copper and phosphorus
- Autoimmune disorders such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Celiac Disease and Myasthenia Gravis
- Central Nervous System disorders such as Cerebral Palsy (CP), Parkinson’s Disease or Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Metabolic Disease such as diabetes or alcoholism
- Nutritional deficiency
Schedule Your Appointment for Neurological Testing for Back Pain in Raleigh
At Triangle Disc Care, we specialize in spinal decompression therapy in Raleigh to unpinch or decompress pinched spinal nerves in the neck and back. We’re proud of the relationships we’ve cultivated with Raleigh neurologists to provide the best care and treatment for our patients. Call us today or use the form to the left to schedule an appointment for a consultation at no charge.
At Triangle Disc Care, we offer neurological testing for back and neck pain in Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Fayetteville, Sanford, Wake Forest, Clayton, Garner, Apex, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina and surrounding areas of the NC Triangle.